[ID] => 10637
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2019-02-20 12:55:29
[post_date_gmt] => 2019-02-20 12:55:29
[post_content] => A woman in Calgary, Alberta got more than she bargained for on Valentine’s Day last month, when she heard an explosion upstairs. Going up to take a look, she found the bathroom door had been blown off its hinges and some towels were on fire.
A fire investigator found that a hair dryer, left plugged in, had created enough heat for a nearby aerosol can of dry shampoo to “explode with substantial force”. It is not clear if the hair dryer malfunctioned or whether it was just a ruse to get some hunky firemen round.
Calgary police observed that, while there were no injuries, there was “a lot of embarrassment”. They also said it was the second time in two weeks that they had responded to an aerosol-related incident. The previous week they were called out after an explosion in a garage where children were using spray cans – to do what, we are not told.
ENERGY TO BURN
Another call-out to an out-of-the-ordinary house fire was reported in California in late January. There, the Oroville Fire Department was called to what reports termed “an unusual structure fire” at a single family home, where there was a small fire on the back porch.
Fire crews found the blaze involved a pile of about 8,000 small batteries, which is rather more than might usually be needed in household applications. They were told the batteries were to be used as part of a business venture. [Are these the knock-off batteries that cause so many problems in the post? – ed.]
The fire was put out quickly but the county hazmat crew and public health officials had to be called in to deal with the toxic debris before the family was able to return home.
A NOSE FOR TROUBLE
Another potential house fire was narrowly averted in Tuckahoe, New York in February. Police were called to deal with a loose pit bull terrier running around; on arrival, the dog led them on a chase back to its home, where the police saw a sliding door open and the unmistakable smell of gas.
It turned out that there had been a gas leak and gas was accumulating inside the house. The dog, Sadie, had tried to get out of the house through the front door but, it being locked, she made it out of the back and raised the alarm.
THE FINAL WELD
Finally, thanks to the Darwin Awards, from where we bring you a tale of innovation gone wrong in New Zealand in September 2018. A professional welder, with an unwarranted self-image as an innovator, arrived to help a friend weld a new exhaust pipe onto his old car. The welder’s innovation was to pre-mix acetylene and oxygen in an old LPG tank in order, he thought, to speed up the process.
His friend, while not an expert, recognised that having the two gases mixed and no flow regulator on the cylinder was a recipe for disaster. He tried to warn the welder, to no avail, and then ran out of the shed they were working in. On lighting the torch head, the cylinder exploded, flattening the shed and igniting bottles of paint thinner and gasoline. Needless to say, the welder was killed and his friend now needs a new car.
[post_title] => NOS: aerosols, batteries, oxy-acetylene and natural gas
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => nos-aerosols-batteries-oxy-acetylene-natural-gas
[post_modified] => 2019-02-20 12:55:29
[post_modified_gmt] => 2019-02-20 12:55:29
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=10637
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw
NOS: aerosols, batteries, oxy-acetylene and natural gas
// By Peter Mackay on 20 Feb 2019
This content is for FREE Membership and Premium Membership members only. Log InRegister