[ID] => 11447
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2019-09-09 09:00:14
[post_date_gmt] => 2019-09-09 08:00:14
[post_content] => Readers will probably be aware of ‘detectorists’ – those people, usually in anoraks, who go around the countryside with a metal detector looking for buried treasure. Well, unbeknownst to us, there is a similar practice that goes on in waterways – ‘magnet fishing’. In fact, this only came to light because authorities in France are clamping down on enthusiasts because of the dangers involved.
Apparently, illegal magnet fishermen (we assume they are mainly men) use large magnets to retrieve debris from rivers or canals but, recently, police in Nantes had to evacuate a large part of the city after a man dredged up a World War II mortar out of the River Erdre. Bomb disposal teams were called into deal with the 25-cm projectile.
Press reports noted that a man was blinded in northern France in May this year, after fishing up a World War I shell containing mustard gas. Indeed, Eric Lombard, head of the bomb disposal unit at the Sécurité Civile, told reported that the unit is called out two or three times a week. The problem is at its most severe in northern France, scene of so much fighting during both world wars; authorities say it will take three centuries to remove all the unexploded ordnance.
Bomb disposal experts were also busy in Minnesota in August, where a widow was clearing out her home in preparation for selling it. The 74-year-old and her family came across a PVC tube in the back of the garage; perhaps they knew the late husband’s foibles well, or perhaps it was just a good guess, but they called in the Minneapolis Bomb Squad in any case.
What they found in the tube was eleven sticks of dynamite, which were destroyed in a controlled explosion. It is not known how long the dynamite had been there nor, indeed, what they had been kept for.
DANGER FROM FISH
There are many hazards in the home and dynamite is a pretty obvious one. However, a woman from Telford, UK was made seriously ill simply by cleaning out her fish tank recently. Apparently, she and her family had been on holiday and, while they were away, all the fish in the tank died. They decided to get rid of it, but had to clean it first.
Later the same day, the woman developed a raging fever and, after a quick consultation with Dr Google, called an ambulance. She was put into isolation for two days and her husband, children and the paramedics that attended all needed treatment.
It emerged that in the process of scrubbing the tank, the decorative coral gave off palytoxin, reportedly the second most deadly poison known to mankind and one for which there is no antidote.
While the family were in hospital, their home was cordoned off and deep-cleaned using smoke bombs; they were not allowed back for several days, although the woman was unwell for more than a week.
Oddly, as far as we know, coral does not appear in the UN Model Regulations and there is no reference to it in the GHS. Nonetheless, some authorities, including SA Health in South Australia, and trade bodies do publish information alerting the public to the dangers. It seems, though, that there is no requirement for retailers to provide warnings.
[post_title] => NOS: Fishing for dangers
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => nos-fishing-dangers
[post_modified] => 2019-08-30 09:09:18
[post_modified_gmt] => 2019-08-30 08:09:18
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=11447
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw