[ID] => 9999
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2018-08-22 09:01:26
[post_date_gmt] => 2018-08-22 08:01:26
[post_content] => Nobody wants to wake up in the morning and find a foreign body in their swimming pool. Dead leaves, exhausted frogs and the occasional duck may be fairly easy to remove but, for one homeowner in Pennsylvania in August, it was a more difficult job.
In fact, the poor chap was woken one morning by hearing a loud crash in his yard. Looking out of the bedroom window, he discovered that a tank truck had landed in his pool. That was bad enough – but it emerged that this was a septic tanker carrying a load of human sewage.
It emerged that an overturned propane tanker in Conestoga township, Lancaster county, had caused a diversion; the septic tanker failed to negotiate a turn, crashed through the fence and ran straight into the pool.
Larry Frankford, chief of the local volunteer fire department, was asked about the smell: “You can just use your imagination,” he told local reporters. No amount of chlorine is going to cover up the mixture of sewage and diesel that spilled to the pool.
DEATH BY ICE CREAM
A sad but cautionary tale comes to us from the state of Washington, where an elderly woman died and her daughter-in-law was badly injured while sitting in a car in July. The younger woman had offered to drive her mother-in-law home late one night and it was only when her husband woke at 4 am to go to work that he realised she had not come home.
He found the car parked a few blocks from their home in Lakewood, with the two women unconscious inside. Ambulance crews took the two women to hospital, where the older woman was pronounced dead. The cause of the incident was asphyxiation due to displacement of oxygen in the car by carbon dioxide.
The man worked distributing ‘Dippin’ Dots’ (apparently, a novelty ice-cream) to local businesses and he stored dry ice in the car to keep the stuff frozen on his rounds. He had been doing this without incident for some years but had recently bought a new car. “The newer car probably had better sealing,” said the sheriff’s department.
So if you’re involved in a similar trade, best keep hold of the old jalopy.
ART WITH A CAPITAL ‘F’
Korean artist Lee Bul first exhibited her artwork Majestic Splendor at MOMA in New York in 1997, although it did not last long. The work in question consists of a fish embroidered with sequins; unfortunately, as the fish began to decay, the refrigeration unit failed and the smell made visitors nauseous.
Spool forward 20 years and the same artwork (though presumably a different fish) was on display at the Hayward Gallery in London. Ms Lee had taken the precaution of packing the rotting fish in a sealed plastic bag along with some potassium permanganate to help dampen any smell.
Sadly, the piece went awry once more; while it was being handled, Majestic Splendor caught fire, causing damage to the gallery and a visit from the fire brigade. They suspected that gases given off by the decomposing fish combined with the preservative, causing a spontaneous combustion.
“Following this expert advice,” said the gallery, “we have now taken the decision to remove Majestic Splendor from the exhibition.” A sad day for art-lovers everywhere.
[post_title] => NOS: Mind the stench
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => nos-mind-stench
[post_modified] => 2018-08-20 15:05:21
[post_modified_gmt] => 2018-08-20 14:05:21
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=9999
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw
NOS: Mind the stench
// By Peter Mackay on 22 Aug 2018
This content is for FREE Membership and Premium Membership members only. Log InRegister