[ID] => 9831
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2018-07-23 09:24:53
[post_date_gmt] => 2018-07-23 08:24:53
[post_content] => About 800 fish were killed in Kentucky in June after a dramatic incident at the Barton 1792 Distillery in Bardstown. A stack of 9,000 barrels of bourbon and brandy collapsed, many of them falling into the nearby Withrow Creek and at least some of them leaking booze into the water.
The county fire chief said that officials reacted quickly (we bet they did), hoping the catch the alcohol before it hit the water but failed to stem the tide. Interestingly, environmental officials noted that fish were beginning to move back into the area the next day. Perhaps they’d gotten a taste for the stuff.
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY
A nine-year old boy ended up in hospital in Hinsdale, New York in June after suffering chemical burns on his feet. The trouble all started when his Sketchers S-Light sneakers got wet during a water activities day at his school. Older readers might not know this, but such footwear features little bulbs that light up as the wearer walks, creating a sparkly effect much admired by attention-hungry youngsters.
The problem is that these bulbs are powered by our old friend, the lithium battery. When the boy’s sneakers got wet, the battery malfunctioned and leaked acid. According to reports, it took a couple of days of wearing the same pair of sneakers before it became clear why his feet were hurting, at which point the boy was administered an antibiotic cream (which seems pointless) to soothe the pain.
There are a couple of lessons to be drawn from this: lithium batteries are bad, and – as any good shoemaker will tell you – it is not a good idea to wear the same shoes day after day.
THERE MAY BE A BANG
Roads were closed in Warren, Michigan one day in May after someone stopped by the Sussex SavMor pharmacy to drop off an old jar, which they thought might sit nicely with the store’s display of old medicine jugs and remedies. What caused the alert was the fact that the kind donation contained a large quantity of ammonium nitrate – “larger than what we would have accepted,” said an employee at the pharmacy.
The fire department was called, and crews promptly asked for backup from the county hazmat team and local police. The incident passed off without injury.
Local press photos showed pictures of the pharmacy, what seems a rather grand description for a battered breeze-block building that might reasonably be thought to be supplying locals with illegal pharmaceuticals. Maybe there’s more to this story than meets the eye.
SNAKE IN THE GRASS
This last story comes from Finland, though we have heard similar tales from the backwoods areas of North America before. A house burned down in Siuntio in June after the owner tried to get rid of a snake in his garden by spraying it with gasoline. The fuel also landed on a nearby lawnmower that was warm enough to cause an ignition.
The flames spread rapidly across the dry grass of the garden, reaching the wooden house and setting fire to the outside wall and attic. Damages were put at some €15,000.
Reports do not reveal if the owner was successful in his attempts to make his property snake-free, but he will probably not be staying there for a while.
[post_title] => NOS: What a way to go
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => nos-way-go
[post_modified] => 2018-07-12 17:39:35
[post_modified_gmt] => 2018-07-12 16:39:35
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=9831
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw
NOS: What a way to go
// By Peter Mackay on 23 Jul 2018
This content is for FREE Membership and Premium Membership members only. Log InRegister