[ID] => 10429
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2018-12-31 10:58:59
[post_date_gmt] => 2018-12-31 10:58:59
[post_content] => Most people die in bed, so it’s probably a good idea to get up in the morning. But be careful of that too – records show that more than 400 people in the US alone die each year through falling out of bed, and there are plenty of fatalities involving pyjamas.
But the home is also a source of multiple hazards, as some recent reports illustrate. In early December, firefighters had to run for cover during a response to a house fire in the small community of Northdale, Florida. A neighbour called 911 after smelling smoke and seeing flames in the home, but when the fire crews arrived they were faced with a series of explosions.
Deputies had to move news crews back from the fire and evacuated six nearby homes. The explosions were later identified as flamethrowers and live ammunition going up in flames.
Around the same time, a 53-year-old man was arrested after breaking into a nearby house and then assaulting a deputy with a knife. It turned out that the felon was lead guitarist in the death metal (ask your kids) band Cannibal Corpse; not only that, he was also the occupant of the house that was on fire.
There is no mention in the police log of alcohol or narcotics being involved but … well, one cannot help but wonder.
ACROSS THE STREET
In September last year, a 75-year-old man was arrested after firing a 12-gauge shotgun through the wall of his home in Winchester, New Hampshire; it seems from reports that he was inside firing out and we cannot find anything that says such behaviour, while odd, may be illegal in itself in the state of New Hampshire. Who knows, he may have just been trying to shoot cockroaches (it would not be the first time such activities have turned up here on the Back Page).
The problem was not firing the gun, it was where the round went: through the wall of the house, across the street and into a fireworks store. In less than a minute, the store was filled with fire, smoke and exploding fireworks. Damage was estimated at between $600,000 and $1 million.
The man was arrested on charges of reckless conduct, criminal mischief and falsifying physical evidence. The contemporaneous press report notes that it was not known if he had a lawyer and that his phone number was not published. It also says his arraignment was scheduled for 3 January – we will come back to this if we hear more.
CAREFUL WHERE YOU SIT
It is not just firearms that can be dangerous in the home; one also has to take care how one takes one’s ease. There was been a general recall on a lavatory product, the Flushmate II 501-B pressure-assisted flushing system, after a number of incidents were reported in the US and Canada.
Flushmate – a division of the Sloan Valve Company – supplies a range of systems that boost the flushing action in a toilet and reduce water consumption. However, the company has received more than 1,400 reports of the units bursting in use, 23 cases of injury (including one requiring surgery) and property damage exceeding $700,000.
While the company’s website proudly proclaims its systems as “the clear winner in water-closet performance”, there is also a recall on the Flushmate III. Best take a look under the lid.
[post_title] => Not otherwise specified: Hazards in the home
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => not-otherwise-specified-hazards-home
[post_modified] => 2018-12-31 10:58:59
[post_modified_gmt] => 2018-12-31 10:58:59
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=10429
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw
Not otherwise specified: Hazards in the home
// By Peter Mackay on 31 Dec 2018
This content is for FREE Membership and Premium Membership members only. Log InRegister