[ID] => 10347
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2018-11-26 10:23:05
[post_date_gmt] => 2018-11-26 10:23:05
[post_content] => We don’t often get visitors to the Back Page office, so we were happy to see our colleagues from the 30 Years Ago page drop by a few weeks ago. They had unearthed an old story from December 1988 that they thought might bear repeating – and we think they were right.
The tale came from Israel, where a man ended up in hospital with second-degree burns to his nether parts, cracked ribs and a broken pelvis.
As has happened before elsewhere, the injuries resulted from an over-exuberant attempt to rid an apartment of unwanted wildlife, in this case a cockroach. The man’s wife had failed to dispatch the insect by stamping on it, so picked it up and dropped it in the toilet. Then she sprayed a whole lot of cockroach spray on to make sure it would not be troubling her again.
Unaware of this domestic drama, her husband shortly afterwards sat down on the toilet and, while he was about his business, thought he might have a smoke. Lighting his cigarette, he dropped the match into the toilet bowl, where it ignited the fumes from the insect spray.
That accounted for the burns, which were bad enough for the couple to summon medical assistance. An ambulance quickly arrived and the chap was being taken down the stairs to go to hospital; on the way the wife was explaining to the paramedics what had happened. They laughed so much they dropped the stretcher and it was this that caused the other injuries.
DON’T LOCK THE DOOR
News of further lavatorial incidents came our way from Mumbai, India in November. A 28-year-old man was severely injured when the septic tank of a public toilet exploded. Local press reports said this was due to “toxic gases” but we suspect flammable gases would have done the trick. Reports did not say what the man was doing at the time and we do not want to dwell on that too long.
In any event, the blast was so strong that it blew roofs off nearby houses and the local fire brigade was called to attend. The victim was rushed to hospital for treatment and was soon declared to be out of danger.
Interestingly, press reports noted that this was the third similar accident within a few days, although those it quotes were largely to do with untrained entry into enclosed spaces. They also mentioned that in September a man had been beaten to death for occupying the toilet for too long. It’s a dangerous world in Indian toilets.
FIRE IN THE FRAME
November often brings with it tales of fireworks gone awry, as cultures around the world hold festivals involving explosive materials. One such incident worthy of note happened in Burma, where there was a mishap during the Taunggyi Fire Balloon Festival. Apparently, this features fireworks being set off from hot-air balloons – it would be interesting to look at a risk assessment for this sort of activity.
This year, a frame carrying 15 kg of burning fireworks fell from a balloon when the ropes holding the frame to the balloon snapped (perhaps they burned through?). The frame fell among the crowd beneath, seriously injuring two people. Others ran for their lives.
Videos are available online; it was really quite a sight.
[post_title] => Not otherwise specified: Toilet humour
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => not-otherwise-specified-toilet-humour
[post_modified] => 2018-11-24 14:26:13
[post_modified_gmt] => 2018-11-24 14:26:13
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=10347
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw
Not otherwise specified: Toilet humour
// By Peter Mackay on 26 Nov 2018
This content is for FREE Membership and Premium Membership members only. Log InRegister